Last updated: June 3, 2021
Protecting your privacy is important to us. Please review our Privacy Notice to better understand who we are, how we collect, share and use personal information about you, and how you can exercise your privacy rights. This Notice applies to all information collected or submitted on the Toyota Ventures site www.toyota.ventures and its subdomains (“the Website”) and other information we collect and process in the course of conducting our business. If you have any questions or concerns about our use of your personal information, then please contact us using the contact details provided at the bottom of this Privacy Notice.
If you have any questions or concerns about our use of your personal information, then please contact us using the contact details provided at the bottom of this Privacy Notice.
We recommend that you read this Privacy Notice in full to ensure you are fully informed. However, if you only want to access a particular section of this Privacy Notice, then you can click on the relevant link below to jump to that section.
- WHO ARE WE?
- INFORMATION WE COLLECT, AND HOW IT IS USED
- SHARING OF INFORMATION
- LEGAL BASIS FOR PROCESSING
- COOKIES AND SIMILAR TRACKING TECHNOLOGY
- INTERNATIONAL DATA TRANSFERS
- PRIVACY SHIELD
- YOUR DATA PROTECTION RIGHTS
- CALIFORNIA CONSUMERS
- SECURITY OF YOUR INFORMATION
- CONTACT US
WHO ARE WE?
Toyota Ventures is Toyota’s first standalone early-stage venture capital firm. We invest in entrepreneurs around the world who share our commitment to amplifying the human experience through technology, with a focus on artificial intelligence, autonomy, mobility, robotics, data, cloud, smart cities, digital health, fintech, energy, materials, and carbon neutral technologies. We are headquartered in Los Altos, California.
INFORMATION WE COLLECT, AND HOW IT IS USED
Information You Provide To Us
Certain parts of our Website may ask you to provide personal information to us voluntarily: for example, you may contact us about potential funding or other investment opportunities, or respond to one of our ‘calls for innovation’, and provide us with details such as your name, contact details, job title/role, work-related experiences, and any other information that you choose to provide to us about yourself, your company or your employees. You may also provide us with personal information when you submit any inquiry to us, or correspond with us by email, mail or otherwise.
We use this information primarily to evaluate your company for investment or other related opportunities, to respond to your inquiry or request, to communicate with you about such matters, and to manage and administer our investments.
Also, if you sign up for our mailing list, we collect your email address. We use this information for the purpose of sending you email updates about our firm and portfolio companies. You may unsubscribe from the mailing list at any time by clicking ‘Unsubscribe’ at the bottom of any email update you receive from us, or by emailing us a email@example.com.
Information We Collect Automatically
When you visit our Website, we may collect certain information automatically from your device. In some countries, including countries in the European Economic Area, this information may be considered personal information under applicable data protection laws. Specifically, the information we collect automatically may include:
- Usage Information. Whenever you visit or interact with our Website, we may automatically collect information about how the site is accessed and used (“Usage Information”). Usage Information may include your IP address, browser type, device type, broad geographic location (e.g. country or city level), operating system, application version, and other technical information. We may also collect clickstream data regarding how your device has interacted with our Website, such as the pages served, links clicked, the time, and the preceding page views. This information helps us to better understand the visitors who come to our Website, where they come from, and what content is of interest to them. We use this information for our internal analytics purposes and to improve the quality and relevance of our site for visitors. Some of this information may be collected using cookies and similar tracking technology, as explained further under the heading “Cookies and similar tracking technology” below.
Information We Collect from Third Party Sources
From time to time, we may obtain personal information about you from third party sources (such as publicly available LinkedIn or other social media profiles, online resources such as PitchBook and Crunchbase, or our select third party data providers). We use such information for the purpose of exploring current or future investments, and to help us to connect with businesses that may be interested in our investment opportunities, subject to applicable data protection laws.
In general, we will use the personal information we collect from you only for the purposes described in this Privacy Notice or for purposes that we explain to you at the time we collect your personal information. However, we may also use your personal information for other purposes that are not incompatible with the purposes we have disclosed to you (such as archiving purposes in the public interest, scientific or historical research purposes, or statistical purposes) if and where this is permitted by applicable data protection laws.
SHARING OF INFORMATION
We may disclose your personal information to the following categories of recipients:
- to our group companies, third party services providers and partners who support us in the operation of our business, assist in the delivery, security and functionality of our Website, or who otherwise process personal information for purposes that are described in this Privacy Notice or notified to you when we collect your personal information.
- to any competent law enforcement body, regulatory, government agency, court or other third party where we believe disclosure is necessary (i) as a matter of applicable law or regulation, (ii) to exercise, establish or defend our legal rights, or (iii) to protect your vital interests or those of any other person;
- to a third party (and its agents and advisers) in connection with an actual or proposed purchase, merger, acquisition of assets, or other business reorganization, provided that we inform the third party it must use your personal information only for the purposes disclosed in this Privacy Notice;
- to any other person with your consent to the disclosure.
LEGAL BASIS FOR PROCESSING (EEA VISITORS ONLY)
If you are a visitor from the European Economic Area, our legal basis for collecting and using the personal information described above will depend on the personal information concerned and the specific context in which we collect it.
However, we will normally collect personal information from you only: (i) where the processing is in our legitimate interests and not overridden by your rights, (ii) where we need the personal information to perform a contract with you, or (iii) where we have your consent to do so. In some cases, we may also have a legal obligation to collect personal information from you or may otherwise need the personal information to protect your vital interests or those of another person.
If we ask you to provide personal information to comply with a legal requirement or to perform a contract with you, we will make this clear at the relevant time and advise you whether the provision of your personal information is mandatory or not (as well as of the possible consequences if you do not provide your personal information).
If we collect and use your personal information in reliance on our legitimate interests (or those of any third party), this interest will normally be to operate our business or our Website effectively, to evaluate current or potential investment opportunities, to manage existing investments, to communicate with you about such matters, to improve our business practices and processes, or for the purpose of detecting or preventing wrongful activities. If we have other legitimate interests not referred to in this Notice, we will make clear to you at the relevant time what those legitimate interests are.
We may also collect information about you, including contact information, if you visit our office or otherwise meet us in person.
If you have questions about or need further information concerning the legal basis on which we collect and use your personal information, please contact us using the contact details provided under the “Contact us” heading below.
COOKIES AND SIMILAR TRACKING TECHNOLOGY
You can opt out of Google Analytics without affecting how you visit our Website. For more information, including details on opting out of being tracked by Google Analytics across all websites you use, visit this Google page, or you can opt out of the cookie directly here: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
- Microsoft Internet Explorer: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17442/windows-internet-explorer-delete-manage-cookies
- Google Chrome: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/61416
- Mozilla Firefox: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/enable-and-disable-cookies-website-preferences
- Apple Safari: Blocks cookies by default and accepts cookies only from your current domain. To change, click Safari, Preferences, Security, and choose your preference.
INTERNATIONAL DATA TRANSFERS
Your personal information may be transferred to, and processed in, countries other than the country in which you are resident. These countries may have data protection laws that are different to the laws of your country (and, in some cases, may not be as protective).
Specifically, our Website servers are located in the USA, and our group companies and third party service providers and partners operate around the world. This means that when we collect your personal information we may process it in any of these countries. We will take appropriate safeguards to ensure that your personal information will remain protected in accordance with this Privacy Notice and applicable laws. For international transfers of personal data from the European Economic Area, the UK and Switzerland we comply with the Privacy Shield Framework (see below).
For further information about international transfers, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Toyota Ventures LLC, and our US parent entity, Toyota Research Institute, Inc, have certified their compliance with the EU-US and Swiss-US Privacy Shield Frameworks as set forth by the US Department of Commerce with respect to personal information concerning individuals from the European Economic Area, UK and Switzerland. Please see our Privacy Shield Notice to learn more.
If there is any conflict between the terms in this Privacy Notice and the Privacy Shield Principles, the Privacy Shield Principles shall govern.
YOUR DATA PROTECTION RIGHTS
If you wish to contact us regarding our collection or use of your personal information, then you can do so using the contact details further below and we will consider your request in accordance with applicable data protection laws.
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area, you have the following data protection rights:
- If you wish to access, correct, update or request deletion of your personal information, you can do so at any time by contacting us using the contact details provided under the “Contact us” heading below.
- In addition, you can object to processing of your personal information, ask us to restrict processing of your personal information or request portability (in certain circumstances) of your personal information. Again, you can exercise these rights by contacting us using the contact details below.
- You have the right to opt-out of marketing communications we send you at any time. You can exercise this right by clicking on the “unsubscribe” link in the marketing e-mails we send you. To opt-out of other forms of marketing (such as postal marketing or telemarketing), then please contact us using the contact details below.
- Similarly, if we have collected and process your personal information with your consent, then you can withdraw your consent at any time. Withdrawing your consent will not affect the lawfulness of any processing we conducted prior to your withdrawal, nor will it affect processing of your personal information conducted in reliance on lawful processing grounds other than consent.
- You have the right to complain to a data protection authority about our collection and use of your personal information. For more information, please contact your local data protection authority. Contact details for data protection authorities in the European Economic Area are available here.
We respond to all requests we receive from individuals wishing to exercise their data protection rights in accordance with applicable data protection laws.
Last Updated: June 3, 2021
Effective Date: January 1, 2020
The Toyota Ventures site is not directed to children under 16. We do not knowingly collect, use or disclose personal information from anyone under 16 years of age. If we become aware that we have unknowingly collected personally identifiable information from a child under the age of 16, we will make reasonable efforts to delete such information from our records.
SECURITY OF YOUR INFORMATION
We take information security seriously and use certain appropriate technical and organizational security measures to help protect your personal information. The measures we use are designed to provide a level of security appropriate to the risk of processing your personal information.
However, no electronic data transmission or storage of information can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. Please note that we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us, and you use the site and provide us with your information at your own risk.
With respect to the retention of your personal information, we keep personal information for as long as it is necessary for the purposes described in this Notice and to comply with applicable legal, tax or accounting obligations. If you have further questions about the security or retention of personal information you have submitted to us, please email us at email@example.com.
We may update this Privacy Notice to reflect changes to our information practices or to changing legal developments. When we update our Privacy Notice we will take appropriate measures in accordance with applicable data protection laws. We encourage you to periodically review this page for the latest information on our privacy practices.
You can see when this Privacy Notice was last updated by checking the “last updated” date displayed at the top of this Notice.
ATTN: Privacy Request
4440 El Camino Real
Los Altos, CA 94022